Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dippity do da, dippity ay - my oh my.....

I looked back on my blog and noticed I posted another hummus recipe last July. Something about summer eating makes me think of cool dips. I have this one waiting in the fridge to break out with our hamburgers on the grill tonight. It's perfect with bagel chips, if you haven't bought bagel chips before you really should give them a try. I like the sea salt variety, with no extra flavoring in them. They are better for you than chips and they are much more substantial to dip with.

Creamy Hummus Dip

1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans (same thing)
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

(chopped jalapeno if you want some kick)

Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Serve with pita chips. This texture reminds me of a hummus dip I ate last Fall in Denver. I think adding the liquid from the garbanzo (or chickpeas) is a great idea. I'm playing with the idea of adding a little cumin yet, I think that smoky flavor would be a good marriage. I'll give it one more taste test before I decide.

I also made some kolaches this afternoon. I'm not a proficient baker, I do OK but I get discouraged if it doesn't turn out perfect. My kolaches are taller then I would like, I squished 'em down good after they proofed, but even with the filling in they went up not out. I used a prune filling and custard, not together - they are in different rolls. What WOULD happen if I mixed them???? Hmmmm. Guess I'll wait to bake another batch when it's not 90* outside. My dough will stay in the fridge for a week. I made 12 today, more is on the way!

No comments: