Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy

That's right, the 4th of July is just days away. Our town does a bang up job (hee hee) of celebrating. We have a FANTASTIC display of fireworks, as well as a parade, events at the park, etc... Because we live about 1/2 mile from the lake and we have a school across the street from us without trees to block our view, we have a great spot to watch the display from home. Each year we are pleased to entertain family, and friends.

Of course, I've been looking recipe books over for the past week looking for some fun ideas. I have some good things lined up, I'm looking forward to it so much! I think everyone thinks about hamburgers, hot dogs or ribs on the grill. Along with that you must have some great baked beans (see post from March 26, 2008) and a salad. I think a macaroni or potato salad are easily interchanged, both favorites of mine.

The two recipes I'm posting are time tested. My mom gave me the mac salad recipe, and my Pastors wife gave me the potato salad inside scoop back in the 70's. Over the years I have tried others, but always come back to the old reliables.

GLADYS's MACARONI SALAD
1 cup macaroni shells - cook according to package directions
1/2 cup celery - diced
1/4 cup green pepper - diced
2 Tbsp onion - diced
1 tomato - diced
1 small can peas
1 cup diced ham
1/2 cup salad dressing

Combine the cooked macaroni with the vegetables, peas and ham. Stir in the salad dressing until well mixed. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least an hour before eating.

I have substituted frozen peas, because I prefer that texture. I don't always add the ham either, I've use bacon or even added diced cheese. This recipe isn't huge, if you have more people coming, double it.

VERNITA'S POTATO SALAD
8 potatoes
6 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup miracle whip
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vinegar
Desired amounts of diced celery, onion and sweet pickles (optional).

Peel and boil potatoes in salted water until just tender, don't overcook! Drain and put them into a large bowl. Hard boil the eggs and peel them. You'll want to dice all but one, save that one to slice for garnish on top. If you have an egg slicer it's much easier! Add the diced eggs, celery, onion & sweet pickles to the potatoes. Combine sour cream, miracle whip, sugar, salt, & vinegar. Pour over potatoes and eggs and stir gently to combine. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with egg slices and sprinkle paprika on top. Cover tightly and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

I think this salad is better the second day. I usually don't add the pickles, but this is the original recipe so I left it in. I used 2 stalks of celery and about 1/2 of an onion.

No comments: