Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July has had 20 sleeps already!

In my preschool world the children often measure time by how many sleeps it is until an event. What an easy way to file it in their little minds, come to think of it-works well in my little mind as well!

So I had these bananas, that turned brown the minute I took them out of the bag from the store. Or so it would seem. I just threw 4 bananas away last week, and I was NOT going to let it happen to me again. I sampled a banana cake at work a couple of weeks ago, and I thought the flavor was excellente'. When I first looked at it, I'll admit I thought it was a spice cake and thought to myself, "yuk". Not my first love in cakes - obviously that would be something chocolate. After I passed by the cake for about the 10th time I sliced off the tiniest of slivers, to feed my curiosity as well as my grumbly tum. I was pleasantly surprised to taste 'nana. I love banana bread, banana muffins, so why not banana cake?!? I asked for the recipe and was again pleasantly surprised that it was only 4 ingredients and none of them were butter or oil. Hey, this might almost be healthy...except for the slab of cream cheese frosting on top. To help with that dilemma I dug bag to my carrot cake post on March 18th and found a frosting that I gave 4*'s.

I'm baking this cake even as we speak, I'm anxious for Mike to try it and give me his professional appraisal. He's getting pretty good at being a food critique! :-)

BANANA CAKE
1 yellow cake mix
1 cup mashed bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
(I snuck in 1 tsp. vanilla extract)

Beat for 2 minutes with a hand mixer. Pour into a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake @ 350* for 30 minutes (do the toothpick test) Cool and frost.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1/4 cup butter
4 oz light cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut

Cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Stir in pecans and coconut, frost cooled cake.

No comments: