Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Here fishy fishy....

We had a marvelous summer dinner tonight. I had orange roughy in the freezer, and if my memory serves me correctly - I don't believe I've ever cooked roughy before. I asked for input from my FB friends, and one particular person mentioned blackened fish. I don't think I would have come up with that on my own, so thanks to you S.Ann! My next feat was then to find a recipe for the rub. I did some research online and found this one, and I will use it again. It had some good 'kick' and really gave the fish an unbeatable flavor. If you don't like spicy, you better cut back on the cayenne, but I thought it was perfect. **** 4 stars from me! The other thing I liked about this recipe was the fact that it's done on the grill in foil packs. Many people online complained about how cooking a blackened fish smoked up the kitchen. Also, there's not much mess to clean up. I did some little potatoes browned in olive oil/butter and a fresh veggie stir fry with carrots, zucchini and onion. I bought all of the veggies at the farmers market, the carrots still had the tops on!!

OK so here's the rub recipe followed by directions for the foil packs.











Blackened Fish Rub

1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper or restaurant pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
Combine all of the above, this is enough for about 6 fillets.

Tear off heavy duty foil wrap for each fillet. Make sure it's big enough to fold over a couple of times to prevent leaks. I sprayed each piece of foil with veg. spray to make sure nothing would stick, not sure if that's necessary. Sprinkle each fillet with olive oil to coat both sides, then spread about 1 tsp of rub seasoning on each side, be sure you are liberal with seasoning. Place a dollop of butter on each side of the fish, then wrap securely in foil so nothing leaks out.

The grill needs to be pretty hot. Grill for 4 minutes on the first side, and about 3-4 minutes on the second side. It really depends on how thick your fillets are. I used orange roughy, but I think you can use any nice fish fillet. The roughy did not get mushy, it help up nicely to the cooking process.

We LOVED this recipe. My husband gave me 2 thumbs up!

No comments: