Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Oooo la la...breakfast!

Do you eat breakfast? I am a latecomer to the breakfast world. I started to eat cereal or a bagel in the morning only about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I know it's better for you, and it's time I try to get my ducks in a row, right?

My ultimate breakfast would have bacon every day!! I'm not an egg lover, I'm learning to like them but I have a ways to go before love happens. I really love a sweet yummy thing like this recipe.

Blueberry French Toast

1 (1lb) loaf of Italian bread cut into 1" cubes
1 8oz package cream cheese, diced
1 cup blueberries
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup blueberries
1 Tbsp butter

Put half of the bread cubes in a lightly greased 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle cream cheese on top of bread cubes. Top with 1 cup blueberries and remaining bread. In a large bowl beat together eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla & nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over bread, cover pan and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning take pan from refrigerator 1/2 hour before baking. Preheat oven to 350*. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes, uncover and bake another 30 minutes until golden brown and the center is set.

To make sauce: combine sugar, cornstarch and water. Boil over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add blueberries and reduce heat, simmer 5-8 minutes or until the berries have burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve over squares of french toast.

No comments: