Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

That's just peachy!

I mentioned online that I had tried a pie experiment, several people requested that I share the recipe. Pies are not something I've baked often. I make a good pumpkin pie, and pecan pie for Thanksgiving, but that's about it. Maybe I'm on to something here, my husband would probably appreciate that. He was weaned on fabulous pie, maybe that's why I have never tried to compete. Who knows, but give this a try if you like some pie!!

Peach Crumb Pie

Filling:
5 large, ripe but firm peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup cornstarch
juice of 1/2 lemon

Topping:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
pinch salt
4 Tbsp butter, cut into small cubes

Your favorite pie crust recipe, or a store bought pie dough like Pillsbury.

1. In a large bowl combine the peaches, sugar and cinnamon. Add cornstarch to a small bowl and whisk in the lemon juice so no lumps remain. I had to add a little more water to this so it would be smooth. Pour the cornstarch mixture over the peaches and toss. Let them rest for 15 minutes while you roll out the pie dough and make the streusel topping.

2. Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Blend the butter into the mixture with your fingers until it forms pea size lumps and looks crumbly.

3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Place the pie crust in the bottom of a 9" pie pan, crimp edges as desired.

4. Pour the peach filling into the pie shell and sprinkle the streusel topping over the pie. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.

No comments: