Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Back to the Basics

I never grew up eating a variety of foods. My mom was a good, but basic cook. We had chicken - fried in bacon fat by the way. We had fried hamburgers, plenty of pot roasts on Sunday, frozen pizza when I got older, and eggs. Not all at once. I don't remember a lot of other meals, oh but I do remember cinnamon rolls and chocolate cake. But, I think I made the cake. Anyway....
I don't have a memory of mac and cheese. We probably had it, but I'm sure it was from a box. It wasn't until recently I cooked homemade mac and cheese. It was super easy, and I kind of liked it! I know it's not a healthy offering, but sometimes you just have to have a bowl of mac and cheese.

Velveeta's 75th Anniversary Recipe
Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups (8oz) elbow macaroni, uncooked
3/4 lb (12oz) Velveeta cheese product, cut up (pretty sure I used 1/2 lb)
1/3 cup milk
1/8 tsp pepper

Cook macaroni as directed on package; drain well and return to pan.
Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Cook on low heat until prepared cheese product is melted, stirring frequently.

Yup, that's it.

No comments: