Pages

Friday, June 6, 2008

Do I smell peanut butter?

What a week it has been. I anticipated with much anxiety my dentist appointment on Thursday for a root canal, gulp. I tried to keep very busy Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to get it off my mind, didn't work. Mike was on vacation this week - so that helped a little. Anyway Thursday morning at 10:50AM I bravely marched into the office with a really fake smile on my face. I went to a dentist who graduated just a year ago, I'm not sure he even looked like he was old enough to buy beer now that I think about it. I sat in the chair for more than 2 hours, praying and gripping my hands together while he proceeded to drill through my beautiful porcelain crown. It really was far to expensive to have to put a hole in it! Then the slow and tedious process began, of finding all of the roots and doing whatever they do. I left with a temporary filling and the hope of a much happier mouth. The numbness wore off and the throbbing began. This morning I was gifted with a fat face, puffy lower jaw that has gotten larger as the day progressed. I have been online reading everything I can find about what to expect after a root canal, I have found no answers. Sadly it is Friday night and there may be no help for me until Monday morning. I was given no antibiotic, I wonder if I should have had one? Anyway now I am taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 6-7 hrs. I pray that the pain subsides tomorrow, this is NO fun. Any dentists out there that have advise for me??? Don't forget that there is a place to send me messages on these blogs, I don't have much feedback from my friends that read this stuff!!

We have plans all weekend, so I will have to 'suck it up' and try to function as if all were feeling normal. I'm also heading to Wisconsin in 9 days to attend a teachers' conference. I hope to be healthy by then.

Since I'm eating soft foods these days, I made a dessert pre-root canal that is easy to chew when I have a moment of fairly pain free bliss. It's very similar to a peanut butter cup. Have a good weekend everyone!

Peanut Butter Cup Bars (No baking!)

2 packages of graham crackers - crushed (there are 3 in the box)
3 Cups powdered sugar
2 sticks margarine - melt
1 1/2 Cups peanut butter
Combine with electric mixer and put into a 9x13 pan
top with:
12 oz milk chocolate chips melted together with
1 Tbsp peanut butter

D-licious!

4 comments:

Heather Lea said...

maybe a big fat hug from me would help! :) i'm no dentist...but those always seem to work for me. LOVE YOU!

Meg Schudel said...

Okay, I'm seriously going to have to stop. reading. this. blog. MAMA MULLEN THESE ALL SOUND FANTASTIC!!! But I'm on Weight Watchers and alas, I'm not going to get to eat this stuff until, like, I lose a metric ton. But when that time comes, you'll be the first chef I phone. promise.

P.S. Your daughter can COOK! Runs in the family:)

Anonymous said...

Oh-----I feel your pain - I had a root canal last year this time and I you know how I am with the dentist anyway. I have to have the laughing gas:)-Here is a big hug from me too. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Meg Schudel said...

by the way, I totally had a root canal two years ago. A BIG one. You're going to be just fine darlin!
However, you may suffeer permanent trepidation of the dentist, as I now do. Booo.