Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Do you like turtles?

Next week my husband is taking treats to work to share. During the month of December they take turns every Tue/Thur bringing in some goodies...great idea! I've been thinking about what will travel well, set well, not be messy, etc.... I love going over old recipes and trying to decide which one will be just right. I think we're going with the triple treat pizza and a snack mix of some kind. It's also Mike's birthday the day he's taking treats, so we'll double up.

Have you ever heard of home made turtle candies? I don't know where I got this recipe but it's one that has been with me forever. The directions are hard to believe, but here goes.

Turtles

1 can of sweetened condensed milk (like Eagle brand)
chopped pecans or walnuts
1 package of chocolate candy melt (like almond bark)

Boil the UNOPENED can of milk for 4 hours in a pan covered with water. The water should cover the can of milk at all times so keep your tea kettle simmering with extra water to add when needed. I don't do a hard boil, just a nice low bubble. When finished, carefully remove from the pan and let it cool down - do not open it yet! Refrigerate it overnight.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and get your chopped nuts ready for the assembly line. NOW you can open the can, surprise!!!! It turned into caramel!

Take a small amount of the caramel and roll it in the chopped nuts. Next dip it into the melted chocolate and tap it on the edge of the pan to get the excess drips off. Place it on wax paper to harden. Repeat until you run out of caramel.

The original recipe called for a package of chocolate chips and 3/4 bar of paraffin wax melted together, but who wants to eat wax? That's a little old school for me. Use your favorite chocolate dipping recipe and I'm sure it will be fine.

These are soft and so delicious, you really must try to make it at least once. People can't believe that you can boil the can that long and it doesn't blow up! (knock on wood)

1 comment:

Meg Schudel said...

YUM! I'll take a few pounds of this for christmas please.