Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

TOP SECRET elf work going on!

We have been SOOOOO busy in my classroom. The children worked their little fingers to the bone making decorations for the open house this last Wednesday. We made many things, but my favorite is our invisible snow man that you see between two snowflakes here. I love these guys.














Today we started making gifts for mom and dad.
It's a little hard to see them in their glory in this photo, but they are baby food jars that have tissue paper squares glued on and then magic snow is sprinkled on while they are still wet! Once a ribbon is tied around the neck of the jar and a little candle is plopped inside they will be a masterpiece indeed. These are really a fast project if you don't include drying time. The down side is that I don't think baby food jars come in glass any more?? Not sure.... so you'd have to score some oldies in someones dark basement somewhere.














Yesterday I made a batch of fudge that was lighting fast to make. I think it turned out pretty well, and would be a nice addition to your holiday spread.

FUDGE
2 Tbsp margarine
1-2/3 C sugar
2/3 C evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 C mini marshmallows
1-1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C chopped pecans or walnuts

Combine margarine, sugar, milk & salt in a fairly big saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cook 5 minutes stirring constantly. Start timing when bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Remove from heat; stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows melt and blend. Spread into a an 8" square buttered pan.

I used pecans in mine and left the pieces pretty big. I made this over my lunch hour yesterday and brought it back to school. It was still soft so we started eating it with spoons, but by the end of the afternoon the rest was cut into some beautiful squares. In fact this morning my husband took some along with him hunting, yes there was some left!

It appears that I am into a candy mind set with these last two posts, I'll see if I can think of something next time that doesn't have sugar as the main ingredient :-).

Have a great day!

No comments: