Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Eat your carrots!

When I'm putting a meal together, I really love it when I sit down to eat and there's a variety of pretty colors on my plate. That may sound dumb to most people, but I really am disappointed if I have before me a plate of food that blurs into each other.

One of the salads I made for Easter was an eye popping orange color, thanks in great part to the fact that I steamed the vegetable. Steaming keeps the bright color and valuable nutrients, so it's a win win.

Copper Carrot Pennies (Lil Kuester gave me this recipe 26 yrs ago)

2 lb. carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4" circles
1 small green pepper, sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
pepper to taste

Boil or steam carrots in salted water until just tender - not mushy. Combine the carrots, green pepper and onion in a bowl and set aside. In a saucepan mix together the soup, oil, sugar, vinegar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and then cool slightly. Pour over carrot mixture and chill several hours before serving.

If you want to kick this up a notch, use a glass bowl and alternate layers of carrots, pepper rings and onion rings. Pour the sauce over and chill.

This really is a great recipe, I hadn't made it forever. My nephew Casey gave his stamp of approval on this one!

1 comment:

Casey D said...

I loved it... definitely wins the award for best new side dish =)