Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pickled Asparagus!

No, the title was not an exclamation of frustration....it's something I tried recently in the kitchen. This was really easy and compared to the pricey alternative I recommend you try it if you are into asparagus. I boiled fresh asparagus for 2 minutes and dropped it into ice water to keep it from cooking any longer. Next I trimmed the spears to fit a jar that used to house sliced jalapenos. I took the peppers out and tossed them into a zip lock bag. The juice remained in the jar and I put the asparagus in to marinate for 24 hrs. I LOVE THIS! It wasn't hot like jalapenos, but had a very wonderful flavor like the sweet cherry peppers that are pickled.

Now this next paragraph might offend some of you, so accept my apology now if that's the case. Have any of you ever heard that asparagus makes your urine smell funny? I learned this quite by accident playing a board game with card club friends and I truly thought they were telling me a big lie. Turns out I've heard it from several others now that I'm bold enough to ask. I can't say that I've noticed any side effects, but it's something to think about!

I'm going to leave you with some of my favorite quotes from my preschool students today. If this doesn't make you smile, nothing will.

Go to comments to see the quotes, sorry they would not post on this page?!?

3 comments:

L the mom said...

I could not get these to post, argh. Maybe this will work.

One student told another , “You shouldn’t eat pretzels off the floor.” “It’s OK” replied the second student putting the pretzels in a bag, “they’re just for my Grandma.”

My mom doesn’t have any money, but I’m going to ask her to go to buy some.

Mrs. Mullen, I saw Jesus family in a box. (Nativity scene)

1st student: I like ACDC – 2nd student: I like ABCD

My fingers are out of control, they can’t hold my pencil right!

At the zoo I saw a rhino pooping bouncy balls.

1st student: Him said a bad word! 2nd student: What did it look like?

Bee’s hurt more than when you get earrings.

It’s hot! When I get home I’m going to change naked.

My pants keep fallin’ down, they’re not seat belted.

Mrs. Mullen, I voted for John McCain. I’m John McCain and I approved this message.

Mrs. Mullen, do the girls like me better than the Jonas Brothers?

I have a new dog called Rosie and she’s a chicka-wow-wa.

I’m going to enter a ‘not scribbling’ contest.

Heather Lea said...

OK, my favorite is the John McCain one. HA! Crap, I just remembered I was supposed to call you.

Get ready!

Meg Schudel said...

HAHAHAHA, LOVE THESE!

Thanks for sharing these, Mama Mullen!!!