Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Mexican and Monday start with 'M'

I get so much junk sent to me via email that I do an auto delete most of the time. Today however I opened a recipe that turned out to be a keeper! Partially I looked at it because it came from tasteofhome, seemed credible. Also it was Mexican and I do love that! It was called Enchiladas Verde's. Typically I do not like enchiladas, the corn tortillas are not my favorite - but my husband likes them a lot. When I stopped at HyVee to get the ingredients I found Chi-Chi's cafe style tortillas made with corn flour....ding-ding-ding-ding....winner! I'll go ahead with the recipe now, it really reminded me of something I often order at El Mezcal.

ENCHILADAS VERDE'S
1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp salt
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese (I used a Mexican blend yellow/white cheese)
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1-4oz chopped green chilies, drained
1-2oz jar diced pimientos, drained
tortillas (12-6"corn or 6-8 of the bigger 8" flour tortillas)
canola oil
In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, garlic & salt until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in cheddar cheese and set aside.
In a large saucepan cook and stir the soup, Velveeta and milk over med. heat until cheese is melted. Stir in chilies and pimientos.
In a large skillet, fry tortillas one at a time in oil for 5 seconds on each side. Drain well on paper towels. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over the top. Cover and bake @ 350* 30 min.

I found that this made a lot of cheese sauce and I only put on enough to cover the enchiladas. The remainder I saved in a separate bowl to sauce up leftovers or use as a white queso dip for chips. I also added a couple of dashes of red pepper sauce for a little more zing, it still was not hot. I also wasn't excited about frying the tortillas, I almost skipped this step but thought it might affect the final product so I stuck to the recipe. I used very little oil, maybe 2-3 Tbs.

No comments: