Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Caviar Dah-ling!

One upon a time, long ago.....Mike and I tried caviar. We wanted to experience the elegance, dare to try the unknown, savor it with a little sip of bubbly. Our fatal mistake, we let our budget determine the kind we bought and it was horrid! I have never tried it again *sigh*.

This caviar recipe is for a modern day tortilla toasting type of party. My friend Donna sent me her recipe, and I did some online research and combined a little of this and a little of that. I made half of this batch - and it still was quite a lot. Many of these recipes called for bottled Italian dressing, but I find that a little harsh sometimes depending on the brand. I opted for the EVOO and red wine vinegar. You decide what sounds best for your family!

TEXAS CAVIAR
2 cans black eyed peas, drain
2 cans corn, drain
2 cans Rotel tomatoes with chili's (or jalapeno if you like it spicy)
2 cups of red or yellow pepper, chopped
3 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, diced
1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
6 Tbsp red wine vinegar -whisk together with:
6 Tbsp olive oil

Combine all of these ingredients and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Heather Lea said...

YUM! I love this stuff. I'll be making it STAT!