Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Pass the salad please.

We had Christmas March 6th. Yes, I said Christmas! Actually it was the last of the gatherings, we went to Grandma Ann's for a turkey dinner that was supposed to happen a couple of months earlier. Ann makes the BEST gravy in the world. I've watched her do it, I've asked questions, I've tried to replicate her gravy and still no luck. So flavorful, so perfect.

Whenever we would ask what to bring for a family meal at her house, for years she told us to bring bread. :-( Not that bread isn't important, but it's not fun. This time I wised up and said I'd bring a salad, one of Mike's all time favorite salads. This recipe is older than the hills, you've all had it I'm sure. But when I looked it up on my blog to make it, I didn't find it....so I'm posting it for myself if not for you. Try to use it up in a couple of days or it gets really ugly.

Broccoli Raisin Salad

1 head of fresh broccoli, cut up into florets-about 4 cups
1/2 cup red onion sliced thin, then quartered
1 cup sliced celery (optional)
1 lb bacon, fried crisp and drained-crumble
1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raisins

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar

Combine all ingredients in the first group and add dressing that has been stirred together. I substituted Hormel real bacon bits instead of frying the bacon, much easier!

No comments: