Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Do you stuff your bird?

TO stuff or NOT to stuff, that is the question. My mother in law makes the most wonderful stuffing, and it always comes out of the bird. I have had zero success with stuffing as I always compared the end product to Ann's. This time I tried a slow cooker recipe. This seemed like a great plan since it would take up no room in the oven, and I could cook it anywhere I had a plug in! I will admit it got a little brown on the bottom, so if you want to avoid that be careful when dishing it to a bowl. I wonder if I should have stirred it during the cooking process to avoid that? I did like the flavor, it was pretty close to the best ever stuffing. (I also did my corn casserole in a slow cooker, worked great and had the most wonderful texture.)

Thanksgiving Stuffing in a Slow Cooker

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery (include some tops)
1/4 cup butter
1 package seasoned stuffing cubes or crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can 14 1/2 oz chicken broth
2 eggs
giblets from turkey chopped and browned in skillet if desired

In a small skillet cook onion & celery in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes/crumbs, and seasonings. Stir in onion mixture and giblets if using. Combine broth and eggs and add to bread mixture tossing to coat.

Transfer to a 3 qt slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Makes 12 servings.

No comments: