Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We eat cranberries because.....

My room has been full of Pilgrim information the last two weeks. We learned that 102 people sailed on the Mayflower. Over half of them died the first winter. Wild turkeys were introduced to us by the Wampanoag people. Cranberries were very plentiful and the pilgrims used them in just about everything!

My mother in law gave me this recipe not long after we were married, it's traditional each and every Thanksgiving that we have this. It may be my favorite thing on the table!

Cranberry Salad
1/2 pkg fresh cranberries ground
1 orange ground with 1/2 of the orange rind still on it
2 apples chopped coarsely
1 -8 oz can crushed pineapple
Mix all above with 1 cup sugar

Dissolve 2 packages of red jello any flavor with 3 cups of boiling water. Add fruit mixture and 1/2 cup of walnuts coarsely chopped. Chill until thick.

(I like to use raspberry jello, but you can certainly decide for yourself what to use!)

1 comment:

Heather Lea said...

Thanks, Mama. SO excited to eat this at YOUR HOUSE tomorrow!!! Thanks for the quick response- my friends were very thankful for the recipe. :) LOVE YOU!