Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

TuhmAte-o, TuhmOtto.

It's been a pretty good summer for our tomatoes. For some reason the ones thriving are the smaller varieties. I have an heirloom green stripey that is soooo cute and delicious! Lots of cherry or grape size in both yellow and red. One variety is about the size of a tennis ball, they are also very good. Our Roma tomatoes died, so I won't be dehydrated those this summer. I always kept a stash of them in the freezer for salads in the winter.

EVERYONE on the food channel has been cooking tomatoes and putting them on pasta. I was of the opinion that I DO NOT like baked tomatoes. Because of the abundance of our crop, and the lack of other great ideas, I caved in and tried it a few days ago. I'll admit it, I was wrong. This was a delicious dish that I will be making several times this summer.

Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Pasta

2 lbs of cherry tomatoes, halved (I mixed yellow/red)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp slivered fresh garlic
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (leave this out if you don't want heat)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil leaves
1 tsp minced fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, fresh please

Preheat oven to 350*. In a large baking dish toss the tomatoes with oil, garlic, vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes & pepper. Roast until the tomatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the fresh herbs and stir well.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Toss with a couple of tsp of EVOO. Add the tomatoes and pan juices and reheat if needed, just a couple of minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and it's ready to serve.

Mike took our leftovers to work today, I can't wait to make it again!

No comments: