Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!?!

Monday was my birthday. My husband and I went to Sioux City for the day to shop and just bum around, it was a wonderful day. We had a late lunch at a restaurant called Garfields, I had an amazing salad there. I'm going to go to try and find a copycat recipe online somewhere. It was a lettuce salad that had feta cheese, glazed walnuts, cranberries, a raspberry vinaigrette dressing, etc... De-lish! I will order it again. I got flowers from my kids and my husband, candy from a preschool family (their kids have been gone for at least 5 years!), new Paula Deen recipe books, lots of cards and phone calls, what a blessing to have such thoughtful family and friends. Thank you everyone.

Now I fully understand that the weather today was balmy and hot, but do you realize that the football season is close enough that you can almost smell it?? I'm not talking about stinky uniforms, I'm talking about tailgate food, half time buffets, finger food at it's finest, YUM! I've been seriously considering chili soup for the weekend, even though it's hot. It just seems right.
We'll be cheering for the Norfolk Panthers Friday night, and screaming loudly for the Huskers Saturday night. It's a shame that we have to watch it via pay per view, but if we must - we must.
When I was considering if we should buy the game, it didn't take me long to realize that if we went somewhere to watch it we'd invest far more in beverages, food, and tip than the cost of the game. Plus you have to gamble on how good your seat will be, how much noise there is competing with the announcer, and forget about stretching out with your feet up. Decision made, we WILL watch it at home in the comfort of our living room.

I mentioned chili soup, I thought about wings, but I think that I will be making potato skins for sure. Maybe some caramel corn (see Feb 14th post), chicken tortilla dip (Jan 27th), oh - the possibilities are endless. Wherever you gather with friends this weekend, if it involves football or not, have a great time and try a new recipe!

Game Day Potato Skins

Serving Size : 6

6 med Baking potatoes
1/3 c Butter
3/4 c Cheddar cheese -- shredded
6 slices Bacon -- fried and crumbled
1/3 c Green onion -- thinly sliced
Sour cream
Salt & Pepper

Scrub potatoes, dry, then pierce with fork several times. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake in 375 oven for about 1 hour or until tender. Let stand until cook enough to handle.

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out center, leaving 1/8" potato in shell. Cover.Chill shells up to 2 days until ready to use for the skins.

(If desired, add the 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup butter, salt and pepper to potato centers to use for mashed potatoes.)

When ready to prepare skins, melt the 1/3 cup butter. Brush shells with the butter, inside and out.Place, cut side up, on baking sheet. Bake in a 500 oven for 10 minutes or until brown and crisp.

Remove the potatoes from the oven and garnish with sour cream, cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.

1 comment:

Heather Lea said...

those are SO GOOD!!! I might have to make them sometime for a game here. We're going to Rissa's in Omaha for the game- after we look at furniture!! Woo-HOO!!!!