Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brush off those book bags!

It's that time again, time to pick up a new notebook or two, some pens, markers, etc... school is here! I've been spending HOURS and HOURS in my room in preparation for my open house this Saturday morning. I know you have heard me talk about it all summer, but when you move from one classroom to another...many skeletons are uncovered. I have sorted, filed, cleaned, cut, and surfed for new ideas. I'm getting close, tomorrow should be a definitive day. The rest of our school (grades K-8) started today, my official first day is September 2nd. I'm getting anxious!

Today's title reminds me of one of my preschool kids last year - I asked them to go get their backpacks in the hall and pick up their mail from their mailboxes. One of the children looked at me and said, "Is that what they called them in the olden days?" I guess the politically correct term is book bag, lesson learned.


Last Friday I worked my last day at the SurgiCenter. I've worked very part time for the last 3 years, this summer I worked about 4 days a week scanning charts and doing a little work at the front desk. I am going to miss those friends, they are a great bunch of people. On my last day they had a lunch for me with lots of good food, I have to get the recipe for this salad that they called a LITTLE KING salad. It was goooood. Thank you to all of my girls there (Doctors too!) that made it so much fun to be there! I will miss you all very much.

Since it's getting closer to Fall and football season, I thought of this great hot caramel dip that I LOVE. Last year the orchards around us had a miserable frost so the apples were scarce. Things are looking good for this crop, so get the ingredients and be ready to whip this up the next time you are invited to gather with friends.

HOT CARAMEL DIP
(makes about 3 cups)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
apple slices - use something that is a little tart

1. Mix together all ingredients except apple in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
2. Pour into crock pot, set on low.
3. Dip fresh apple slices into hot caramel.

Variation: For fun you can add 1/2 cup of peanut butter to this to give it a new twist!

1 comment:

Meg Schudel said...

This sounds fantastic. I plan to use your recipe for carmel on the first day of Fall since we don't have any sort of visible climate change, I'll need something to bring back memories of school supplies, brisk air, and cruncy leaves.

I'm going to miss Nebraska in the fall more than I can say. Enjoy it for me, I know you will as your beautiful daughter will be married soon in September!