Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

And it's not even St. Patrick's day!

Last time we talked I was making a soup with ground beef, cabbage, etc..... not worth passing on. Sorry if you were looking forward to soup. Tonight however we had a Reuben Crescent casserole. Now in my world anything that is made with Pillsbury crescent rolls is most likely to be great. This recipe was from a taste of home magazine, and I tweaked it a bit because it had lots of meat and cheese and I just didn't think it needed that much. Here's my version, my husband Mike liked this one a lot. When I took it out of the oven he said, "Pretty impressive!" and he's a good judge of casseroles. ;- )

Reuben Crescent Casserole

2 tubes (8 oz ea) refrigerated crescent rolls.
8 oz Swiss cheese slices (NOT wrapped processed cheese)
3/4 pound sliced deli corned beef
1 can (14 oz) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
1/2 cup thousand Island salad dressing
1 egg white, beaten
1 tsp caraway seeds

Unroll one tube of crescents into one long rectangle and press onto the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish, pinch together seams. Bake @ 375* for 8-10 min or until golden brown.

Layer with half of the cheese and all of the corned beef. Combine sauerkraut and salad dressing; spread over beef. Top with remaining cheese. Top with second tube of crescent dough. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds.

Bake for 14-16 minutes or until heated through and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 min before cutting. Makes 8 servings.

NOTE* I think it's pretty important to get a good quality 1000 Isle. salad dressing - not a generic brand. I think there is definitely a difference in the taste. I think I bought Wish Bone and that was good. The other thing is to make sure you don't get the sauerkraut that is sweet - just the regular old Franks Kraut. Make sure you squeeze the heck out of it so it's pretty dry.

1 comment:

Heather Lea said...

golly mom, you're the cutest. I might have to try this for MY husband (!!!). I'm not sure if he likes kraut yet....but I'll find out!

Miss you. Let's hang out soon.

Love, love, LOVE you!