Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

What's in that sandwich?

Today is a cloudy, windy, and occasionally drizzly day. In other words, it's a day to cook. I'm in the middle of two brand new recipes. The first is a sandwich that steps outside the box, waaaay outside the box.

Last week for snack time one of my preschool girls brought a sandwich with bacon,
peanut butter and banana....I think. Well, that started me thinking - and you know what happens then, I'm going to try something NEW! It just so happens that my husband brought up a Better Homes & Gardens magazine from Oct. 2007 to show me a recipe for minestrone soup. That was my original goal, to make a pot of soup. As I am perusing through the articles I stumble upon a peanut butter apple bacon sandwich, gasp! I made it for lunch today, and it definitely rates a repeat performance. I hope that you will step outside YOUR box and give this a try. I kept the PB to a minimum because of the strong flavor, and next time I think I'll put in 3 dashes of the cayenne, just for fun!

PEANUT BUTTER-APPLE-BACON SANDWICHES

1/4 cup peach preserves
dash cayenne pepper (optional)
8 slices whole grain bread
1 large yellow or green crisp apple, cored and very thinly sliced
8 slices smoked bacon, crisp-cooked & drained
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2-3 Tbsp butter, softened

In a small bowl stir together preserves and cayenne pepper. Place 4 slices of bread on a work surface; spread slices with preserves. Top with apples and bacon. Spread one side of remaining bread slices with peanut butter; place spread side down, over apples and bacon. Spread sandwich tops with some of the butter.
Preheat griddle or very large skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches, buttered side down on griddle. Carefully spread unbuttered bread with butter. Cook each side until golden and heated through.

This makes 4 sandwiches, I prepared all of the ingredients but only made 2 sandwiches. I'll save the rest for a lunch later this week.

The other recipe that I put together was a soup made from hamburger, cabbage, celery, onion, tomato sauce, etc.... I'll give it the taste test tonight and let you know what the verdict is. ;-)

No comments: