Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2009

E-V-O-O

I have become such a fan of olive oil, and am saddened by how expensive it is! I guess I should buy the larger sizes, but I just don't know how long it keeps without getting a funny flavor. I almost always saute with it by combining it with equal amounts of butter. It keeps the butter from burning and together...what great flavor! Tonight I tried those pizza crusts you can buy at the grocery store and top with whatever. Heather tried them and said they were good, she was right. We used Canadian bacon, onion, red pepper, mushrooms and sliced provolone cheese, yum. I also put together a cheese appetizer that I have eyed in the store that I thought was too expensive. It's cheese in olive oil with seasonings. I sampled this tonight but I know it will be better tomorrow after the spices have had time to marry with the olive oil. It's very pretty and would pair well with a glass of wine.

MARINATED CHEESE & OLIVES

8 oz mozzarella, cut into cubes
Olive oil - about 1/4 cup
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
Red pepper flakes to taste
Dash paprika (opt)
Mixed olives, to taste (remove pits if necessary or let guests know they contain pits)

Combine everything together. Marinade for about 6 hrs before serving. Serve with crusty bread or crackers.

I'll give you an update after I've tried it again tomorrow, but I'm telling you it's beautiful and tastes pretty good already.

By the way, have you seen my family Christmas photo? Check it out!!!!!

Are we a handsome bunch?







1 comment:

Meg Schudel said...

I know! What's up with the EVOO prices? I think people who produce it think it's like, liquid gold. Oh well.

LOVE the family picture! It's one of those things that makes me think, "I wish my family were fun like that!"

I'm still reading even if I'm not commenting!!! :)