Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

You have spinach in your teeth

Sunday was the chili cook off at our church, Nancy and I were the defending champs (I may have mentioned this already). We walked in with our tiara's proudly perched on our heads and an abundance of table bling to make us look great. The competition was talking smack from the getgo. Good grief, didn't I say this was a CHURCH cook off??? Our big challenger was Dave & Co. We knew that it was going to be tough, and we were right. The score bounced back and forth for two hours with one of us ahead by a point or two...then came the final count. The Two Hot Tamales were dethroned by ONE POINT!! I will tell you that those boys looked really cute in our tiara's!

To make myself feel less of a loser (just kidding), I made a new spinach dip last night, I think it was one of the best I've tried. It's one of those recipes that you can substitute other ingredients for and it still works.

Sunday Night Spinach Dip
1-14 oz can or artichoke hearts - drain
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
1/3 C Romano cheese (didn't have any so I put in 2 oz cream cheese)
2 cloves garlic - chopped
1-10oz frozen spinach - thaw and squeeze to drain well
1/3 C cream
1/2 C sour cream
1 C mozzarella (only had 1/4 C so I added cheddar/Monterrey jack)

In a food processor chop artichoke hearts with cream so it's nice and smooth. Then stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into a baking dish about the size of a pie plate and bake it at 350* until golden - about 20-25 min. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

Like I said, I substituted a couple of things in this recipe and it was still great. Have fun with your cooking, try new things because you might just make it better!

No comments: