Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2009

January - buh bye

Here it is, the last day of January. That can only mean that it is that much closer to Spring!
Hooray :-)
Today I woke up with a ginormous headache, ouch. I haven't had one this big for a long long time. I actually stayed in bed until after 10:30. I was up an down getting sinus medicine, water, crackers because I felt nauseous, telephone, etc.... but by noon I was starting to perk up. I am just so stinkin' tired and I have a cough that sounds like I smoke two packs a day. So many kids have been sick at school - a lot of strep throat and upper respiratory junk. As much as I tell them to cough in their sleeve, you can't imagine how many germs I get blown right in my face. Oh the joys of teaching.
Despite my demise, I managed to get a surge of energy around 5 ish that was quite fruitful. I made two little diddies that I'll share with you. I did wash thoroughly, used utensils not fingers, and tried to stay as sterile as possible - not breathing on any food. I wish I were more excited about the Super bowl tomorrow, don't really care about either team. It would be a great excuse to have a wonderful soiree, oh well. If your team is playing, by all means enjoy!

Asparagus Spears
(use as a salad - served cold)

1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
1/4 cup rice wine or cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp chopped nuts toasted - pecans suggested

In a large skillet bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 min. Drain and immediately place in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
In a large plastic zippy bag combine vinegar, soy, sugar & Oil. Add the asparagus, seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate up to 3 hrs. Drain and discard marinade, sprinkle with pecans.

and now #2

Super Bowl Sweet Popcorn

1 package of vanilla almond bark
10 cups popcorn or 1-6 oz package of popcorn puffs (no hulls!)
3 cups pretzels
1 cup peanuts
1 cup M&M's
(I didn't have peanuts, so I used peanut M&M's instead)

Melt almond bark in microwave according to package directions and stir in remaining ingredients. Pour out onto a couple of long strips of wax paper to cool. Break into smaller pieces and store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Hey Mama Mullen, I'm still reading! My family makes your sweet popcorn recipe, only we sub out the popcorn for rice chex (lasts longer, we think) and we call it "White Trash" which we got from an outside source. Anyway, it's outrageously good and I never make it b/c it has a way of ALL disappearing the same week I make it no matter how many tons of it there are (which leads to tons of me). I'm glad you like it too, once I gain control, I'll make it again :)