Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Counting sheep

Hey! It's past my bedtime, but sleep is not happening for me....so I grabbed a couple of my favorite old cookbooks to find something for the blog. See how much I think about you people? Seriously - Mike has to work in the morning at 7 so I thought rather than toss and turn I'd get up and let him get into some fabulous 'rem' sleep.

Twenty one years ago I discovered this recipe for shrimp. Friends that my husband worked with were coming over for the 4th of July and I wanted something special. I think that buying shrimp back then was a huge treat for us, I guess it still is. You might wonder how I remember when I made it for the first time?!? I have a habit of writing down the date the dish was prepared next to the title. If I didn't care for it, the date is followed by a :-( or I might just cross out the whole recipe so I don't make the same mistake again. If there are no descriptive notations, I'll most likely make it again. Tracy and Maureen did like this dish, and I have made it many times since then, or at least similar recipes. Be sure to use raw shrimp, or cut your cooking time down drastically. A precooked shrimp will turn to rubber when cooked again.

Baked Shrimp
2 lbs fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 cup softened butter, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced parsley
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
Toss shrimp with salt, oregano and thyme; chill at least 20 min.
In small bowl, cream together1/2 cup butter with garlic and parsley.
Saute' mushrooms with remaining butter.
Place shrimp in individual baking dishes; top with mushrooms, dot with garlic butter.
Bake @ 375* for 20 min.

I also remember that we had a chocolate swirl cheesecake topped with a peanut butter hot fudge sauce for dessert. Maybe a future idea? OR German chocolate cheesecake....endless possibilities.

Sleep well all.....

No comments: