Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Only 2 1/2 hours left!!

OK, January is almost history for this year....yippeeeee! I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. Or rather warmer and happier things.

Over the weekend we had a celebration for my daughters' birthday in Lincoln. The plan: get together with Nate, Heather, her wonderful in-laws Rod and Linda and our son James. We met at the birthday girls house, and got in on the tail end of a birthday brunch that Nate had for her. Lots of good friends were there, it's nice to witness others showing love for someone you care so much for.

We did a little shoppin' and then had a supper of what else but soup?!? That's what January has been all about this year, definitely it's been soup weather since before Christmas. Since tomorrow is February, (actually in 2 1/2 hours it will be February) I am posting my LAST soup recipes until the season of Fall rolls around in 8 or 9 months. I am ready to move on!

I tried two NEW recipes for the gathering, I know that sounds dangerous - right? But my theory has always been that if it's not good, who's really going to say, "yuk this is awful!"?? If you have lots of people and everyone eats a little, it's gone before you have time to think about how good it was, or wasn't.

As luck would have it, I found two soups that hit it out of the ball park!! The first was a soup my friend Kristin's mom sent me last week. It is similar to a tomato bisque I used to eat at a local restaurant. The second soup is a version of a jambalaya, and believe me there are MANY versions of jambalaya!! I LOVED the second soup, but I'm not the biggest tomato soup fan in the world. Those who like tomato LOVED that one, so you'll have to make both and let me know what you think!?! :-) And just in time for the SOUP-er Bowl!

TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
1 pkg 9oz refrigerated or frozen cheese tortellini
2 cans tomato soup
1 can vegetable broth
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups half and half cream
1/2 cup chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (more if you want some for garnish)

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile in a large pot combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings. Heat through stirring often and be careful not to boil hard. Drain tortellini and add to the soup. Stir in cheese and it's ready to go!

Now for soup number 2!

SLOW COOKER JAMBALAYA
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes
1/2 lb sausage diced - like a kielbasa (I used a turkey version)
-- if you can find andouille sausage use it, but it's pricey!
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 med. onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 can chicken broth
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp Creole seasoning
1 tsp hot sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 lb frozen peeled and cooked shrimp, thawed
2-3 cups of cooked rice

In a slow cooker combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery & chicken broth. Stir in oregano, creole seasoning, hot sauce, by leaves and thyme. Cover and cook on high or 3 hours OR low for 7 hours. Stir in the thawed cooked shrimp and cook just until the shrimp is heated through, about 5-10 min. Discard bay leaves and spoon mixture over cooked rice.

We let each person put rice in their bowl so they could decide how much they wanted. It was SOOOO good, I can't wait to make it again!

No comments: