Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

So many cheesecakes, so little time.

It's no secret that I LOVE cheesecake. I love a creamy rich cheesecake, so many taste bland. For years I've made a chocolate chip cheesecake that I have used as the measure for all others. I think I found one that may be almost equal to the legend. It is a recipe from the same cookbook, so that may be why I like it so much. These girls just know my taste!

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
(I thought it was better the 2nd day)
Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp margarine - melted
Mix together and press into bottom of a spring form pan
Cheese filling:
24 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa (baking powder)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs, beaten
Blend cream cheese, sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add eggs slowly. Pour over crust. Bake @350* for 35 min. After completely cooled, spread on topping; then garnish with chocolate curls.
Topping:
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut
Melt butter over low heat. Blend in milk, sugar, egg and vanilla. Cook stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in nuts and coconut and spread on cooled cheesecake. Refrigerate.
Serves 12-16

I believe I baked mine another 5 min. because the center was not quite done. It's a tough call because it needs to wobble to be moist, but cooked. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one!

No comments: