Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Twenty Ten

Happy New Year to any of you that might still be following this blog after a long hiatus. My son asked me what my new years resolution was, and I told him sarcastically it was to drink more coffee. As a rule I don't believe in New Years resolutions, they simply set you up to feel bad about what you didn't get accomplished. I realize however that I do need to work on this blog with some new enthusiasm. It's been easy to put this on the back burner when things get busy. I guess that's my hope and goal for 2010, to keep more in touch with people in my life whether it's through this, or other means of communication.

My first post of the year is going to be a great casserole I made last Tuesday night anticipating my family coming home for Christmas. We were delayed a bit because of weather, then James was delayed a little longer with work commitments, but finally everyone made it safe and sound. This dish uses long grain and wild rice, and I bought a pretty good quality rice and made it in my rice cooker ahead of time. Those cookers are great because you can just walk away and forget it!

CHICKEN AND WILD RICE CASSEROLE
4 cups of cooked chicken cut into chunks
2 cups of cooked wild rice (I used a little more)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups celery diagonally cut
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup sliced almonds (2oz)
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 sleeve round buttery crackers crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350* Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. In a large bowl, combine chicken, rice, soup, celery, onion, mayo, almonds, broth and lemon juice. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl combine cracker crumbs and butter and toss to coat well. Sprinkle crumbs over casserole and bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
I made this the night before and let it set out about an hour before baking it. I think it almost tasted better the second time around!

No comments: