Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mirror mirror on the wall, what the best thing to do with a pound of hamburger?

I've been sooooo tired this week. I've been fighting with a jaw/ear/tooth problem that is yet undiagnosed. TMJ? Sinus? Ear infection? All I know is that it hurts!!! It comes in waves, hits really hard and then subsides for a bit. I don't like it much. Do I grind my teeth at night? I don't know....I'm sleeping! My dentist is moving offices and will not be open for about 10 days, so I'm going to keep the ibuprofen close and try to forge ahead.

Last night was one of those nights when it was time to eat, and I had no idea what I could possibly throw together. I had a pound of hamburger and very little imagination. I grabbed an old cookbook that is literally losing it's cover and looked under the sandwich section. I found a possibility right away, it was a pizza type recipe that was very easy to put together. I know I'll make it again, it was pretty dag gone good.

Pizza Sandwich

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp pepper
optional toppings: red onion sliced very thin, red or green bell peppers thinly sliced, mushrooms, black olives, etc... whatever you like!
1 loaf of french bread
shredded mozzarella
cheddar cheese (optional)

Combine the cooked ground beef with the Parmesan cheese and tomato paste, then stir in seasonings.
Slice the french bread loaf into 1" to 1 1/2" pieces. If the bread is not very large slice it on a diagonal to get bigger pieces, you'll need 4-6 slices.
Divide the meat mixture evenly between the bread pieces, and spread it to the edge. Top with onion, red pepper and any other ingredients you would like.
Next sprinkle on a generous amount of mozzarella and top with a thin slice of cheddar cheese just to add some fun color down the middle of your sandwich.

Bake on a cookie sheet for 10 min @ 350 then broil it for about a minute to brown it slightly.

1 comment:

Meg Schudel said...

Yummo, I'm going to try this with my extra pound of hamburger in the freezer, thanks!
I laughed out loud at the rediculous title of the post, alone, in my cubicle...my coworkers must think I'm nuts...