Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Aliens Love Underpants !?!

This blog title is one of my preschool children's favorite books right now When the title showed up in our Scholastic book order I had my doubts, but it's pretty cute. At this age, all you have to do is say the word underwear and they crack up! There are so many great books out there, I love to share them with the kids. Right now we're in the middle of the Cynthia Rylant series about Henry and Mudge. They came about in the late 80's, and I tell my classes that they are chapter books. With a look of confidence and awe I will tell them that they are now big enough for chapter books as we begin the adventures.

It's been a week of highs and lows. Early this week we had catastrophic news about a family that we love, a tragic accident. Later in the week we were sending emails back and forth about a possible house purchase for Nate and Heather. Somewhere in there is balance, God gives us shock absorbers to help protect us from things that seem insurmountable. Those shock absorbers are family and friends. What would we do without them?

Tuesday I made crostini from a couple of baguettes that I bought at Sam's Club. It was just the right texture to make the best ones I've ever turned out. In case you have forgotten, crostini is a baguette sliced thin - maybe 1/4" that has been brushed with olive oil or butter laced with a minced garlic clove. Bake it until golden and use it for dips, my favorite being the good old bacon & tomato dip. Last night I made guacamole, and since it's Friday I feel the need to follow up with another appetizer. I'll admit I have not made this yet, so we'll see.....but it sounds great. Maybe you can try it tonight also, and let me know what you think.

Shrimp with Green Chili Pesto
4 oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/4 Cups)
2 cloves garlic
2 - 4 oz cans milk green chilies, drained
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup parsley leaves
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons safflower oil
1 1/2 lb. shrimp - shelled & deveined

In a food processor process cheese, & garlic until blended. Add chilies, pine nuts, parsley, cilantro, & 2-3 tablespoons oil and process to a smooth paste. This pesto may be refrigerated for up to a month.
Toss the shrimp in a bowl with the pesto and refrigerate covered for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350* and place the shrimp on a sheet pan and bake uncovered for 15-20 min. Serve warm or at room temp.

Doesn't that sound great??? If the safflower oil is expensive, I'll substitute olive oil. I can hardly wait!

No comments: