Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Monkey bread is good for me!

Hello All!
It's been a good restful weekend. We have stayed around the house doing things we like to do. Mike is working on a coffee table, I made a dent in the laundry that never goes away, we had friends over last night to play dominoes, great weekend.

The shrimp was 4 stars from the last blog. They will shrink quite a lot in the oven so don't be surprised when you peek in on it. Saturday AM I made monkey bread. I don't recall if I've given you that recipe before....I think just Gorilla bread (that has cream cheese in the middle of each piece) so I'll post the simpler version today. Also this morning I made something for my husband called Doodle Whops. Now I know that sounds like something my golden retriever makes in the back yard, but it was fast and pretty good if you like eggs. I'm not a big egg lover so I tend to shy away from recipes that include runny type eggs. Oh, I don't like jello either, it's a texture thing.

Tonight is the Oscars. It's fun to see the dresses, the hair, and find out what movies I've never heard of are winning awards. Sometimes I make a list of which ones I want to see as I watch the show, helps me to stay current on what's new. Maybe I should go home and tell Mike he has to put his suit on from the wedding and I'll doll up in my pretty black dress and we'll pretend to be at the awards ceremony. We even have a bottle of bubbly we could break out! If it wasn't for the dog hair on the couch I think we could pull it off. Have fun doing what ever you do on a Sunday night 26 days before Spring.

MONKEY BREAD
3 tubes of refrigerated biscuits
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Cut each biscuit in 4 pieces and shake it in the 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon that has been mixed together. After each piece is coated thoroughly drop into a bundt or angel food cake pan that has been sprayed with a non stick coating. Occasionally toss in a few of the chopped nuts so they are distributed throughout the bread. Heat the brown sugar and margarine until it comes to a boil. Pour this over the top of the biscuits and bake @ 350* for 30 min. If it looks like it's getting dark on top cover loosely with foil the last 5-10 min. Immediately invert onto a large plate and eat it up!

now....for recipe #2

DOODLE WHOPS
I made 4 so this is what I used:
3 slices of deli ham
4 eggs
grated cheese

Chop the ham and divide between the muffin cups that have been sprayed with a non stick spray. I put some green onion in next, but leave that out if you don't like onion. Crack one egg into each muffin cup, season with salt & pepper. Top with a generous pinch of grated cheese. Cheddar, Colby/jack, whatever you have.
Bake in a 350* oven for 15 min. (over easy stage) to 20 min. (hard boiled). Run a knife around the edge and scoop out with a spoon.

The ham left a bit of water in the bottom of the muffin tin when I did these so I had to mop up a little bit of liquid on the plate before serving. I suppose you could scramble the egg before putting it in if you don't like to see a big old egg yolk on your plate. What ever you do will be right!

No comments: