Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Expecting company??

You never know when company is coming, take mother's day for example. My loving son called me specifically on Saturday to tell me he would NOT be making it home. I said, "OK, that's no problem." My daughter also seemed to have other plans for the weekend, and I was fine with the idea that I would have a relaxing day, time to work on school stuff if I felt like it.
Sunday morning I woke up and got ready for church. When I walked out into the kitchen I noticed that my husband had really cleaned up things in the kitchen and it was looking great! He said, "thought I'd make it look nice for mother's day", I thought nothing of it.
After church we pulled in the driveway, and I walked in the front door to music and three smiling faces in the kitchen. "Happy Mother's Day" I heard, and I was SOOOO surprised. They had brought lunch along! Brats, hamburgers, two salads, berry/rhubarb cobbler, etc. YUM! My parents and brother and his son came over, and we had a very nice lunch. After that we went to Grandma Ann's and saw more relatives. Then we went to a party for my other daughter's (who's not related) graduation. We had so much fun, and the day went very quickly. My family went back to Lincoln around supper time, and I spent the evening preparing for school the next day.
NOW, the day before I made a salad for my friend Shannon. They were having a high school graduation party for Garth, and I offered to help with food. She had me prepare today's recipe that makes a salad for LOTS of people. I think it feeds about 50 people - seriously! Make this when you do have a large crowd coming, because it won't keep very well. If nothing else make a 1/2 batch and split it with a friend!

VEGETABLE SALAD
1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower
1 head lettuce
1 head red cabbage
1 large red onion
12-oz pkg grated mozzarella cheese
1 lb. bacon fried and crumbled into small pieces
1 cup sunflower seeds
Parmesan cheese
DRESSING
2 Cups mayo
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
Wash veggies and cut into small pieces; put into a large bowl and toss gently. Mix dressing ingredients and let the dressing set for at least 1 hour. Pour dressing on just before serving and mix carefully. Top with mozzarella, bacon, sunflower seeds and Parmesan cheese. Serve right away.

No comments: