Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

College Bound

Our best friends Bill & Nancy have just gone through one of the big stages of life. Their youngest son Eric has gone away to college. No matter how much you prepare for that separation - it catches you by surprise and takes your breath away. Nancy is a great cook, I love eating meals with them! One of her first thoughts was if she knew how to cook for just 2 people....I'll admit I struggled with that same concept when we were left alone with no extra mouths to feed. Being the planners that we are, we decided to dedicate one night a week to cooking for each other. Last night they came to our house for supper, and next week we'll go to their house. I LOVE IT! I made a no fail baked steak that you can have prepared ahead of time so that you can just enjoy your company. Perfect for a Fall or Winter meal with some mashed potatoes...yum.

BAKED ROUND STEAK

1 med onion
2-3 lb beef round steak (I used a beef sirloin ball tip)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 Tbsp Worcestershire
1/2 can milk

Spray a 9x13" pan with Pam, then cut the onion into 1/2" slices and spread them around the bottom of the pan. Cut the steak into serving size pieces, dredge them in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper and brown them on both sides in a skillet with veg. oil. Place browned steaks on the onion and top with the mushroom soup that has been mixed together with the Worcestershire and milk. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350* for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until tender. This makes a gravy and smells sooooo good. When I bought my meat the round steak was actually more expensive than the beef sirloin so I switched it up. Sirloin is more tender anyway and they were nice thick pieces, about 3/4" I'd say.

We also had mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, garlic rolls & fresh garden tomatoes. I'm looking forward to next Tuesday to see what Nancy has up her sleeve!!

No comments: