Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Ho Ho

HO HO HO HO
This is what little Hallie said as she tried my bars last week. She is 2 1/2 and smart as a whip!
This recipe is from my friend Barb. I don't make them often because it's a BIG pan of decadence.
My reason for making them this time was my friend Carol. She came to Norfolk from Texas and mentioned that she was craving one of my Ho Ho Bars. Well I knew she had been eating wisely, with an upcoming wedding. So I made them as an after the celebration-celebration!! I hope you have a reason to make them, they are heavenly.

HO HO BARS
1 stick margarine, melted
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
3 tbsp cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1 tsp vinegar and enough milk to make 1/2 cup)

Cream together margarine and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients, this will be a thin batter. Spray a jelly roll sheet pan (17 1/2 x 11 1/2) with Pam and pour in batter. Bake in a 350* pan for 25 minutes or until done when tested with toothpick.

Filling:
1 cup sugar
1 cup Crisco (butter flavor)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp salt

Beat together for 5 minutes (if you have a stand mixer, this is the time to use it!)
Then add 1 cup powdered sugar. Spread over cooled cake.

Frosting:
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp margarine
6 tbsp milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat first three ingredients together and beat for one minute. Add chocolate chips and beat until thick. Spread over filling layer.

Store this in the refrigerator.

No comments: