Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Jalapeno Delight

Another new summer side dish idea.

PICKLED JALAPENOS & CARROTS

10 jalapenos sliced into 1/8" rings
2 cups peeled and sliced 1/4" carrots
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 red onion sliced 1/4" thick

I used 3 or 4 jalapenos, and a not as hot salsa pepper for the rest.
I found out a couple days later at our family reunion that my sister in law Tami cans this recipe! She said she blanches the carrots to soften them, that's a great idea. Her recipe didn't include onion, I like that addition. I'm sure however, that she uses all jalapenos. You decide how hot you want it! :-)

Directions:
Bring vinegar and sugar to a slight simmer, just to dissolve the sugar. Add remaining ingredients and steep for 1 hour minimum before serving. Store in airtight container.

No comments: