Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Food Groups

Anyone who knows me very well, will tell you that I'm campaigning to get chocolate accepted as one of the four food groups. I'm sure one of those others is completely expendable.

I recently made a layer cake that had a very unusual frosting, I found it on the Kraft Foods page. My kids thought it was special enough for a birthday cake, I just thought it was good enough to be a food group-as usual. I substituted Bakers chocolate for chocolate chips.

BEST-EVER CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE
(that's Kraft's title not mine, but it's pretty good)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips - divided
1 pkg chocolate cake mix, 2 layer size
1 pkg 3.9 oz Jell-o chocolate instant pudding
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 tub (8oz) cool whip topping, do NOT thaw
2 Tbsp sliced almonds

Heat oven to 350*. Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water in large bowl with mixer until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Pour into 2- 9" round pans sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min. Loosen cakes from sides of pans, invert onto wire racks; cool completely.

Microwave cool whip and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips in microwave on high 1 1/2 min or until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after 1 minute. Let stand 15 minute to thicken.

Stack cake layers on plate, filling and frosting with cool whip mixture. Sprinkle with nuts, keep refrigerated.


No comments: