Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

God bless those who have gone before us

Today is Memorial day, I just looked online to find out about events happening in the cemetery's to honor fallen soldiers, but found nothing. Sigh. I guess we'll take a drive through the cemetery and admire the carpet of flowers and decorations, stopping by a few loved ones to pay our respects. Mike's dad and sister Margie, our next door neighbor Norm, our dear friends Ann & Dave's son Aaron who tragically drowned last June. It really makes me choke up when I think about what a tough walk Aaron's family has had this last 11 months. I pray for them often and hope their hearts are able to focus more on wonderful memories than the tragic event. He was an example of a fantastic young college student growing into adulthood with dignity and a smile on his face each time we saw him. He is missed more than words can explain.

I am going to be better at posting this summer....really! Mike was off work Thur, Fri, and today so it's been an unusual schedule for us. We went to Lincoln on Friday and found the perfect dress for Heather to get married in. Guess what... it's white and sparkly!!! I may have found something for the mother of the bride, but I'm keeping my options open yet at this point.

Saturday I drove to graduations at NELHS in Waco with my friend Kristin. It's a high school that our church supports and I knew several of the graduates there, 3 of them were preschool alumni. Wowser! It was a very fun day, I saw tons of people that I knew, my favorites were my Bible study sister/friend Carol from Texas! Hug hug hug. It ended on an off note for two reasons, #1 I sat on a dark chocolate something and had it all over the rear end of my light tan colored pants!! # 2 I started to get a horrific cold which has overtaken me last night and today. I'm all congested in my chest, and I feel like typhoid Mary....great.

It was a weird night sleeping with this cold, I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror and my hair that was straight and slightly turning under when I went to bed was flipped up quite uniformly this morning like someone broke in and styled my hair in the night! Even in my weakened state I couldn't help but laugh when I looked in the mirror, how strange! Mike and Maddie both say they did not do my hair, I'm not so sure. Hmmm.

I've been thinking for days what I should be posting for a recipe. See, just because I'm not writing doesn't mean I'm not thinking of all of you! We have cooked beer can chicken, salted nut roll bars (April 8th post), bacon wrapped smokies (Feb 3rd), boursin cheese spread, spaghetti salad, ham salad, oatmeal crunch bars, yada, yada, yada. I think I've decided, OK here it is:

Spaghetti Salad

8-10 oz spaghetti
8 oz bottle Italian dressing
chopped onions
chopped tomatoes
chopped cucumbers
black olives sliced in half
2-3 T Schilling Salad Supreme (don't skip this )
a hand full of fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Cook spaghetti as directed (I always break mine in half); rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. (Don't rinse or the dressing doesn't stick to the noodles as well) Immediately stir in the salad dressing and chopped vegetables. You can add or subtract any veggies that you like. Stir in the salad supreme and Parmesan cheese, mix well. Chill a couple of hours before serving. Easy cheesie!

No comments: