Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May Day!

May Day holds many memories for me. When the kids were little we went from door to door with may baskets. Ours were really large plastic cups that had a handle punched in them filled with popcorn, m&m's, and other candy. The idea was to leave them by the door, ring the bell and run like fury....because if you got caught you might get kissed!

I remember sending James (when he was in grade school) next door to deliver a may basket to Tami (who was in high school) after I saw her pull into her drive way. He thought she wasn't home, so he was very cavalier on the approach to the door. When he saw her waiting for him he sprinted like I've never seen him sprint before into our house locking the door behind him!! I guess it wasn't fair of me to call and tell her he was on the way, but it was funny!

I got 6 baskets today from students, 3 of them were delivered to my door. We made baskets at school and took them to each of the teachers. The children laughed so hard as we ran down the hall trying to avoid hugs and potential kisses.

Now here is something I probably should not admit to, but since our kids have been grown and gone we have been doing May baskets with our dog. I call them May Biscuit Baskets and they go to our friends dogs. I bought a cute cookie cutter that is shaped like a dog bone, and the recipe I use has very few ingredients, but our dog Maddie gives them 2 paws up! If you have a family dog that is a little bit spoiled, try making these. I keep them in the freezer because not only do they keep longer (no preservatives) but Maddie likes them frozen in the summer.

Madelyn's "Pea-Mutt Butter" Dog Biscuits

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
(this time is used half wheat, and half white flour it seemed a little stiffer)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine oil, peanut butter, and water.
Add flour, one cup at a time, then knead into firm dough.
If dough is to stiff, add a little more water a tablespoon at a time.
Roll dough to 1/4" thickness and cut with cookie cutter.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

1 comment:

Heather Lea said...

i think this deserves a pic of maddie with a biscut......did she deliver them to her friends this year? two thumbs up to the smartest dog EVER!