Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rhuberry Bluebarb...Raspbarb Blue something.....

I spent the morning with my friend Shannon working on a surprise for a fellow teacher who is moving to Wisconsin. We will have a going away dinner on Sunday and share fond memories and stories that are mostly true. Tim has taught here for 23 years, there are many stories to tell, where will I begin? Things will feel much different next Fall when school begins with a new principal, but we are set for the challenge and ready to welcome our new staff members with open arms.

The weather is very stormy tonight. Tornado sightings here and there and somehow we have managed to miss it all. Another blessing that often goes unnoticed.

For supper we had brats and a lettuce salad with greens picked fresh from our garden! After we ate I started peeling rhubarb for my special jam that I make only once a year. It's one that my kids really seem to like, I do like the flavor quite a lot. It came from a country school cookbook that has the cutest illustrations, they are all drawn by the children. Anyway, I'll get right to it.

Rhubarb Blueberry Jam

5 cups rhubarb, peeled and cut fine
1 cup water
5 cups sugar
1 can blueberry pie filling
2 3-oz packaged raspberry jello

Cook rhubarb in water until tender, just a few minutes. Add sugar and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add pie filling and cook 8 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in jello until completely dissolved. Pour into jars with screw on canning lids. Store in freezer of refrigerator. This fills 5 16-oz jars.

No comments: