Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2008

COLD cold cold


This has been a true midwest winter, SO cold and a lot of snow! When I was a kid we had snow waist high and that was the norm, then we went through several years where there was hardly any snow...and we became spoiled. It's important to have other things to focus on to get through the winter meanies.

Friday at school we made a very cute art project, the children painted penguins. It's a blast to see how different they all turn out even though each child was given the same prompt. I forgot my camera in the morning, but I caught the afternoon kids in this photo. Don't you love it!?! I think that painting is one of thier very favorite projects, I really should do it more often.

Last night we went out for supper with some friends and then came home to watch a movie. Tonight we plan to support the local highschool boys basketball team that will be playing an old familiar rival. Sometime before the game I'm going to get into the kitchen and make a wonderful recipe that can be used for dessert or as a coffee cake type pastry. I've made this for more years than I care to admit, but every time I take it somewhere I always get requests for the recipe...mostly from men.

CRESCENT CREAM CHEESE BARS

2 pkg. crescent rolls (pop-n-fresh type)
2 - 8 oz. cream cheese - soften
1 egg
1 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon sugar (approximately 4 tsp. sugar to 1 tsp. cinnamon)
chopped nuts (pecan or walnut)

Mix the cheese, sugar, egg & vanilla with a mixer until smooth. In a greased 9x13 pan spread the first package of crescent rolls and pinch the seams together. Cover the crescent rolls with cheese mixture and top with the other package of crescent rolls.

Bake at 350* for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture and chopped nuts. Return to the oven and bake an additional 25 min. Cool completely before cutting, and store in the refrigerator.

Use your dicression when sprinkling on the cinnamon sugar, see what looks right. It needs to cover the top but doesn't have to be terribly thick. Also use the amount of nuts that you prefer.

This recipe was one I found in a church cookbook from Milwaukee. You've got to love those church cookbooks, they are the BEST!

Have a happy Saturday.

1 comment:

Heather Lea said...

CUTE PENGUINS!!! You'll have to give me great ideas like that, mom. Start setting them aside for me. I may end up with little guys.....you never know! :)