Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

OK, it was a busy crazy day, but the evening has been wonderful!! Mike went out shopping and brought home a couple of steaks & some shrimp (surf & turf), rice and a fun appetizer. He bought some crusty bread, goat cheese and grapes. A great combination!! He sliced the bread and we spread the goat cheese on it and then ate the grapes intermittently.... yum-o! It was nice to have it all decided for me when I got home. I have to admit that I tend to cook what I feel like eating, luckily Mike is such a easy person to please when it comes to planning meals, that he is happy with whatever I pick. I am blessed to have such a wonderful husband! There are many things I didn't think of as a sweet young thing dating an "older" guy. But it's been proven once again in my life that God is truly the one in control and that I am just along for the ride. I wouldn't trade my world for anything.

Last night I made caramel corn using the already popped corn (pops?) that you buy in the chip section. Cheetos makes these pops, but so does HyVee - and it's about a buck verses three bucks. I'll bet you can guess which one I bought. The nice thing is that there's never any hulls to worry about. This was well received by the people that I gave it to for Valentines day today.

CARAMEL CORN

1 - 8 oz bag of corn pops (place in a large roasting pan)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 C brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
In a saucepan combine the margarine, corn syrup, & brown sugar. While mixing, cook for about two minutes or until bubbly around the edges, remove from heat. Add 1 tsp. baking soda to cause foaming (this will allow for proper coating of pops). Pour caramel slurry over corn pops and stir until pops are properly coated. Place in a 250* oven for approx. 45 min. stirring every 10-15 min. Remove from oven and pour onto wax paper. Break apart (before pops can cool) to desired piece size.

P.S. Originally I got this recipe from the back of a bag of Barrel O'Fun Corn Pops. They don't sell them here in our town any more, maye they have them where you live!

No comments: