Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mosta...who??

I seem to have a cold, it started Sunday and has been gaining speed ever since. I am a habitual crud getter this time of year. You would think that since I've been teaching over 15 years that I would have built up an amazing resistance, but no. I guess I should just be grateful that it didn't happen until after singing at the wedding, and that I managed to squeak through the funeral song on Tuesday. Now I have no committments for a bit, so I can cough, sneeze, and blow to my hearts content.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a handwashing freak. I think it's being around all of those little 'boogery' fingers, etc... but I really feel a compulsion to wash frequently and use antibac when I can't do that. That is a good thing though when it comes to working with food. This morning my snack leader had a terrible cold! Was I wrong to put the hot lunch disposable gloves on her before she passed out cookies?!? They were way to big for her! My students are also trained to cough into their shoulders, not their hands. Oh Mrs. M. lighten up!

My recipe for today is a salad that I made for our church supper tonight. One of the teachers that I work with with said he could have eaten the whole bowl. I guess that's a good testimonial. So give this one a try and see what you think.

Mostaccioli Salad (Mos-ta-cho-lee) ok, so you probably already knew how to pronounce it

1 C sugar
1 C vinegar
1 C vegetable oil
1 tsp Accent seasoning
1/2 tsp salt & pepper
1 clove garlic minced
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes

1-12oz. package of mostaccioli noodles
1 cucumber - sliced thin or chopped
1 large tomato rough chop or 12 cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 bunch of green onions - chopped including some of the greens for color
1-6oz can black olives - sliced in half

Cook the mostaccioli according to package directions. During that time simmer the sugar, vinegar, and oil in a sauce pan until the sugar is dissolved, just a few minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the garlic, seasonings, mustard and parsley. Set aside.

Drain the noodles and pour into a large bowl. Add the cucumber, tomato, onions, and olives. Now add the sauce and stir well. Chill this for a few hours before serving. It's goooooood! This make a large salad, so invite some friends over to help you eat it.

No comments: