Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

It's a girl!

Happy Birthday Hanna (Hannah?) Jean. Remember the friends I mentioned having a baby today? Done deal. She weighs 8lb 15oz. - that's a healthy little girl my friends :-) Her father requested that I hold a spot for her in my preschool class of 2011! Praying for God's richest blessings on Hannah and her family.

I made a salad for Easter lunch that I have made millions of times, but every time I love it! It has definitely withstood the test of time. There are many variations of this recipe, and most do not brown the ramen noodles, I think that is a step you should not skip. It adds such a nutty flavor. Here is my version, I hope you like it.

Bok Choy Salad

1 head of bok choy (can use Chinese cabbage)
1 head of lettuce or 1 bag of prepared greens ready to use
4-6 green onions chopped using a lot of the green stem
2 packages Ramen noodles chicken flavor
1/3 C sunflower seeds
2-3 tsp stick margarine

Dressing:
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C vinegar
1/2 C oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
flavor packets from the ramen noodles

In a skillet melt the margarine and add the crunched up Ramen noodles, save the seasoning packets for later. Brown the ramen over med heat stirring frequently just until a golden brown color. Remove to a paper towel and cool.

Next combine the dressing ingredients and shake well until the sugar has dissolved. If you have a Pampered Chef salad dressing mixer - go find it! This is the time to use that puppy.

Chop the bok choy into bite size pieces, when you get to the part that resembles celery, slice it thinly and use just parts of it - not all. Add the lettuce that has been torn into bite sized pieces, and mix them together gently. When you are ready to sit down to eat place this into a large bowl and add the green onions, cooled ramen noodles, and sunflower seeds. Mix gently and cover with dressing.

This salad is going to wilt - that is why you don't do it ahead of time, I can't stress this enough... it's meant to be eaten immediately. IF you want to be smarter than the salad, don't add the sunflower nuts, noodles or the dressing - have it available to add to each serving as needed.

No comments: